Winter skincare tips and winter skincare products
By Carla Snuggs
Yesterday, we shared 5 winter skincare tips from Dr. David E. Bank, founder & director at The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery in Mt. Kisco, NY. Here are 5 more expert tips from Dr. Bank to keep skin soft and supple.
6. Always apply a night-time moisturizer: If you have dry skin, you’ll notice a world of difference when you start adding a moisturizer to your nightly routine. Not only will your skin feel hydrated, but you’ll have less visible lines and wrinkles. Product pick: Murad Perfecting Night Cream is a rich moisturizer that restores lost moisture and rejuvenates the skin while you sleep.
7. Use a moisturizing shampoo and conditioner: Look for hair care products that are specifically made for dry hair. When applying the conditioner, massage the product onto your scalp with your fingertips. Doing this will help to hydrate your scalp, stimulate oil glands and remove flakes. Dr. Bank's product pick: Alterna Caviar Anti-Aging Moisture Shampoo and Conditioner hydrate dry hair, reviving dull tresses and adding shine.
8. Exfoliate your scalp: If you’re struggling with flakes and an itchy scalp, an exfoliating product might help, suggests Dave Alexander, guide to About Men’s Hair. You can use a mild facial exfoliator or a product specifically designed for your scalp.
9. Protect Your Hands and feet: Always wear gloves outside. The cold weather can instantly dry out your skin, leaving your hands prone to cracking. Wearing gloves is an easy way to protect your hands from the elements.
10. Don’t Lick Your Lips & Make sure to Moisturize: Licking your lips will not moisturize them and instead will help dry them out. Lips retain less moisture than other parts of the body, so they tend to dry out more quickly. A simple lip balm helps. Another trick to moisturize your lips is with Vaseline. Take a toothbrush and "brush" your lips in a circular motion. This will remove dead flakes and leave your lips soft and supple. Dr. Bank's product pick: Softlips® lip balm with SPF 20 to help condition and protect your lips. This product will soften and moisturize the lips without making them waxy or greasy for the top coat of lipstick or lip gloss.
Below are more of Posh Beauty Blog's winter skincare picks for Part 2 of Posh Beauty Blog's Winter Skincare Guide for 2016.
Nyl Organic Shimmer Scrub
Nyl Organic Shimmer Scrub is a simple blend of organic sugar and oils that exfoliates, moisturizes, improves circulation, and leaves behind just a hint of shimmer. It leaves your thirsty skin smooth, hydrated and sparkly, even in the in winter. This is my pick because it pulls double-duty - you can use this scrub in place of your shaving lotion. Shave when the sugar has melted, then rinse. Your legs will look and feel amazing.
JFA Moisture Complex and HP Gel
Dr. Julius Few, MD, FACS at The Few Institute in Chicago recomends that we discontinue alcohol consumption at least 1 hour prior to bedtime. Drink a glass of water 1 hour before bedtime and then apply a medical grade moisturizer without drying alcohols, like JFA Moisture Complete 30 minutes before bedtime.
Also, consider reducing the use of Retinoids, like Retin A and Retinol, to every other night if your skin tends to get dry during the colder months. Use a humidifier by your bed if you wake up with a dry feeling face after a good nights sleep. Consider using a hyaluronic acid containing serum to further enhance moisture delivery to the face and neck- like Julius Few HP Gel.
Tatcha Pure and Polished Trio
Victoria Tsai created Tatcha after a chance encounter with a modern-day geisha who inspired her to create a skincare collection based on their centuries-old rituals. My pick for winter is The Tatcha Pure and Polished Trio for Dry Skin, which includes:
- PURE One Step Camellia Cleansing Oil
- POLISHED Gentle Rice Enzyme Powder
- KINU Pure Silk Polishing Face Cloth
I love the Camellia Cleansing Oil because it is a super gentle way to remove makeup. The Rice Enzyme Powder exfoliates to reveal smooth glowing skin. The 100% Pure Silk Polishing Face Cloth when used with either of these items help boost exfoliation while nourishing skin.
Thesis Beauty Face Cleanser and Serum
It's important to stop over-cleansing and use super gentle cleansers (such as non-foaming, powdered cleansers). Try Thesis Floral Face Cleanser – Tender as Petals preferably only PM. In the morning, a splash of water generally should do it. And then, without patting dry, seal in moisture with an organic concentrated, oil-based moisturizer like Thesis Face Serum.
The Perfect Derma Perfect Cleanser and Mineral Perfection Tinted SPF 30
These luxurious skincare products are perfect for winter and espeically beneicial if you've recently had skincare tretments like peels and microdermabrasion.
The Perfect Cleanser: Paraben Free and Sulfate Free aloe based cleanser with Azelaic Acid and a blend of antioxidants. This luxurious gel is concentrated and provides gentle yet thorough cleansing for All Skin Types.
Mineral Perfection Tinted SPF 30: This is suitable for all skin types for everyday use. The formula is a physical sunscreen and will not irritate or sting sensitive skin. It is smooth and non-greasy and the tinit is a universally flattering shade that blends into the complete range of Fitzpatrick skin types. It is make with Zinc Oxide, Titanium Dioxide, Organic green tea, jojoba oil and glycerine.
Disclosure: Press samples were provided by the brand/PR for editorial consideration, product testing, photography and honest review.