Luxurious night serum with Retinol and Resveratrol
Relaxing skincare products from Taitu's Beauty
Posh Beauty Blog recommends 3 effective eye serums
Luxurious summer skincare products with seasonal ingredients
Luxurious skincare and lifestyle products to help you celebrate National Relaxation Day
Skincare, haircare and makeup essentials for a safe and chic beach day
Choosing the right perfume is essential to defining your personal style through scent
Tips and products for acne awareness month
By Carla Snuggs
June is Acne Awareness Month. As someone who struggles with occasional hormonal breakouts and t-zone congestion, I am very aware of acne :) In all seriousness, it's important to learn how to prevent acne and how to treat breakouts and chronic acne. Suffering, from body acne? Check out my body acne guide.
To help you prevent and treat acne this summer, Posh Beauty Blog has sourced Dr. Kally Papantoniou, Cosmetic Dermatologist, Board Certified by the American Board of Dermatology. She specializes in Injectables, Lasers, Body Contouring, Surgical and Medical Dermatology. Here are Dr. acne prevention and treatment.
1. Clean your cell phone!! A bacteria-covered cell phone can lead to breakouts. There's accumulation of oils from makeup and our skin when you notice breakouts on the cheek and jaw area cell phone use is a possible cause.
2. Don't skip out on moisturizer with SPF!
People falsely believe moisturizers cause breakouts. The key is to use one suitable for your skin type or one that suits all skin types with very basic ingredients. If you have dry skin and are using acne cleansers, your skin will be less likely to break out, if kept well hydrated with a good moisturizer. Cerave AM Lotion with SPF 30 is one I recommend to patients. It won't clog pores and it's great for sensitive skin.
3. Use Gentle Cleansers To Balance Harsher Products: When heavy acne cleansers are causing dry skin, use a gentle wash in the morning. CeraVe Hydrating Cleanser,Vanicream Cleanser, or Neutrogena's Visibly Clear Pink Grapefruit Cream Wash, are recommended. Dr. Kally says Neutrogena's wash is a good option for mild breakouts. It gently exfoliates with antimicrobial properties, without being too harsh or drying on the skin. "This is helpful for both inflammatory acne and black heads," she said. But don't wash more than twice daily. "[Over-washing skin] will strip the skin of the natural oils, which are actually protecting your skin," she said. This leads to dryness and a breakout-triggering "rebound production of oil." Not to mention, rubbing your face too harshly can aggravate skin breakouts, increasing the risk for dark scars left from acne lesions.
4. Staying Up Late & Sleeping On Dirty Pillows: "Not sleeping enough each night can increase your stress hormone levels and can trigger breakouts," Dr. Papantoniou said. And once you do hit the sack, sleep on your back as much as possible. Otherwise, pressing your face up against a dirty pillow can be one more source of angry breakouts and flare-ups the next day. Silk pillowcases can be a great switch-up for acne-prone skin, too, she said.
5. Not cleaning the loofah! Dr. Papantoniou suggests also using baking soda on your back. It's also a hard to reach area for deeper cleaning. Back loofahs reach the area, but are known to be a breeding ground for bacteria when left in the shower. Your loofah should be cleaned by soaking it in a bleach solution and letting it air dry in a cool place. It should be replaced every 3 weeks.
6. Use A Face Steamer Before Washing For A Deeper Clean: According to Dr. Papantoniou, "Face steamers work well to help hydrate and loosen debris on the skin and clogging pores." Why do they work so well? "The warm temperature relaxes your skin, allowing for pores to dilate, which also makes it easier for them to be cleaned," she says. This essential beauty tool releases hot steam in seconds, which opens up your pores. This allows you to better eliminate pesky breakouts that come from not washing excess dirt and oils from deep within the skin's surface.
Here some acne treatment products I am loving right now
Farmaesthetics Blemish Tincture
This power-packed anti-microbial and anti-bacterial herbal tincture of lavender and tea tree essential oil hinders the progression of a breakout and stop breakouts and blackheads in their tracks. Shop: Farmaesthetics.com
emerginC blemish control
This super-potent drying treatment rapidly improves breakouts with zinc oxide, sulfur, camphor and salicylic acid. Shop: EmerginC.com
ClarityRx ClearZit On The Spot Blemish Control
This easy-to-use applicator is ideal to spot treat unexpected and unwanted blemishes. The combination of glycolic acid, menthol, witch hazel and camphor addresses inflammation, redness and soreness. Shop: Clarityclinicalskincare.com
Hydropeptide Skincare Products
Hydropeptide Cleansing Gel: This 3-in-1 cleanser gently and effectively removes dirt, makeup and excess oil while toning the skin without over-drying. The cleansing gel provides hydration to promote glowing, smooth, and clear skin while reducing the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Hydropeptide Spot Correction: Formulated to treat and prevent onset acne with 3 peptides, colloidal sulphur and lactic acid, this advanced formula combines acne-fighting and anti-aging ingredients to clear up acne pimples and prevent new ones from forming without over-drying the affected area.
Hydropeptide Clarifying Toner: Reveal healthy skin with renewing alpha hydroxy acids and a pore-cleansing peptide that will help create a flawless complexion. These anti-aging skin clarifying toner pads feature 4 peptides, azelaic + lactic acids, and Canadian willowherb to conquer congested skin, visible pores, dullness, and even fine lines and wrinkles.
PanOxyl is a line of skincare products packed with benzoyl peroxide to help treat and prevent acne breakouts. I am a huge fan of the Panoxyl 4% Acne Creamy Wash which is dermatologist approved and contains 4% benzoyl peroxide, so it's great for sensitive skin and/or mild to moderate acne like whiteheads or blackheads.
Disclosure: Press samples were provided by the brand/PR for editorial consideration, product testing, photography and honest review.
Considering laser skin tightening? Here's what to expect!
If you’re having a skincare crisis or you’re worried about sunburn, take these tips on board.
A review of Jouviance Glyco| Laser 5 Soft Peel Night Cream