Winter skincare tips and winter skincare products
By Carla Snuggs
Winter is well underway and no matter where you live, winter weather tends to dry out the skin on the face and body and damage hair. Dr. David E. Bank, founder & director at The Center for Dermatology, Cosmetic & Laser Surgery in Mt. Kisco, NY has some simple tips to keep skin soft and supple.
1. Exfoliate at least at least once a week. If you apply a moisturizer daily and still find your skin is dry & itchy try adding a weekly exfoliator to your skincare regime. Exfoliating removes the layer of dead skin cells that sits on the skin’s surface. This is the best way to ensure your skin actually absorbs moisturizer and gets the hydration it needs. Dr. Bank suggests: Molton Brown Warming Eucalyptus And Ginger Body Scrub contains a mixture of eucalyptus oil, root ginger and exfoliating sea salts to slough away dead skin cells and moisturize your skin.
2. Skip the Bubble Bath: Love taking bubble baths? Those bubbles might be contributing to your overall itch. Bubble baths typically contain drying soap and alcohol, which strip your skin of moisture. Instead, it’s best to use a productthat includes skin-soothing ingredients like honey, oatmeal or milk.
3. Moisturize regularly: Using a rich body cream is vital to healthy, supple skin. Apply cream immediately after your shower or bath to preserve the moisture gained during your soak. Just make sure to use lukewarm water. Using hot water dries out the skin more and can cause itching and flaking. It is especially important to choose a moisturizer with for the face with SPF 15 or higher, even in the winter. Despite the dreary weather it is always important to protect the skin from harmful UV rays. Dr. Bank's' product pick: Sundari Omega 3 and Soybean Softening Body Baume provides intense hydration to dry, flaky skin, helping to heal your skin’s moisture barrier.
4. Skip the peels and masks for a while. While these treatments are effective in delivering a youthful-looking complexion, they can also hurt already dry, irritated skin. That’s because peels and masks can strip your skin of the moisture it needs to stay soft and supple.
5. Reassess your skin type. Don’t assume your skin type will always be the same. You may find it changes with the season, depending on the current climate. If dry skin is new to you, pack away the products you’re currently using and select skin care that targets dry complexions.
Below are some of Posh Beauty Blog's winter skincare picks. Stay tuned for 5 more tips from Dr. Banks and Part 2 of Posh Beauty Blog's Winter Skincare Guide for 2016.
Skinn NuSonic Cleansing Tool
Skinn’s new NuSonic Cleansing Tool deeply cleans your pores and polishes your skin for winter and ahead of spring, giving you that ultra-clean, ultra-glowing complexion you deserve. Designed for even the most sensitive skin, this everyday tool allows for 400 movements per second, utilizing sonic vibrations to loosen and dislodge any clogged pores and impurities from the skin. The NuSonic comes complete with three additional cleansing heads to meet your skin’s needs, including a body brush that has helped me to clear a bit of body acne. Purchase: Skinn.com.
Skyn Iceland Skin Hangover Kit
Skyn ICELAND has excellent solutions for stressed skin that are perfect for harsh winter weather. Top pick: Skin Hangover Kit:
Helps revive and restore overworked, overstressed, depleted skin and eyes. The Skin Hangover Kit includes:
- Hydro Cool Firming Eye Gels with Hexapeptide Technology
- Icelandic Relief Eye Pen with Glacial Flower Extract
- the ANTIDOTE Cooling Daily Lotion
- Fresh Start Mask (2 packettes)
MoistureWorx Skin Protection Spray
The dry air of winter, both indoor and outside, can make it difficult to keep skin from getting dry. This time of year, it’s especially important to protect your face, keeping it healthy, moisturized, and youthful. You must try MoistureWORX Skin Protection Spray. It has an updated formula for an even softer feel! This light, fragrance -free all over moisturizer uses patented Novasome® delivery technology to provide all the incredible benefits of white petrolatum without the greasy feel and enhancing the natural lipid barrier of your skin. It protects your skin all day (up to 8 hours) from skin irritants.
Exuviance Skincare Products
Of course, Exuviancehas some amazing skincre products to help restore your skin. Any of the produccts below are a great addition to your winter and spring skincare regimen and will leave your skin more soft, supple, youthful and growing.
1) Ultra Restorative Crème: This night cream rehydrates and restores wrinkled, photo-damaged skin with a blend of PHAs Gluconolactone and Lactobionic Acid. You’ll wake up with smoother, hydrated, and more luminous skin.
2) Exuviance Age Reverse Mega Moisture Duo: Features two top-selling products that offer AM/PM power: In the a.m. apply Exuviance Age Reverse Day Repair SPF 30, a hydrating and anti-aging SPF product with peptides, retinol, and NeoGlucosamine that boost collagen, as well as pomegranate and vitamins A and E to protect against damage. In the p.m., use Exuviance Age Reverse HydraFirm to target poor texture, age spots, loss of firmness, and wrinkles with hyaluronic acid, Prodew, and a triple firming complex of Bionic, NeoGlucosamine, and Matrixyl Peptides.
3) Exuviance Triple Microdermabrasion Face Polish: Combines professional grade crystals (and no harsh polyethylene beads) to smooth skin, plus glycolic acid and papaya enzyme to dissolve impurities. Using it once or twice a week helps clear skin and brighten dark spots.
4) Exuviance Heel Repair: Treats your feet just where you need the most TLC. Alpha and Poly Hydroxy Acids exfoliate and repair dry, cracked and calloused skin, while pro-vitamin E soothes.
AMG Naturally Hydrating Mist & Toner and Botanical Elixir Moringa Oil
AMG Naturally is a brand I recently discovered that offers products derived from all-natural plant sources and contain no synthetic chemicals. Both AMG Naturally Hydrating Mist & Toner and AMG Naturally Botanical Elixir Moringa Oil with Sacha Inchi Oil will aid in keeping moisturized, radiant and more youthful skin during the colder weather for all body parts. AMG Naturally Hydrating Mist & Toner can be used anytime and anywhere to rehydrate the skin and locks in moisture. AMG Naturally Botanical Elixir Moringa Oil with Sacha Inchi Oil helps combat the signs of aging and dryness of face, hands, and extremities such as dry chapped lips and hands and dark circles and puffiness under eyes.
Neocutis Hyalis and Bio-Body
Neocutis Hyalis is the ultimate drink of water for your skin. This fast-acting hydrating serum with Hyaluronate helps relieve skin stress due to climate changes and plumps the appearance of skin to help minimize the signs of aging. It contains premium-grade Hyaluronate which absorbs water up to 1000x it's weight. Bio-Body is a multi-action, skin refining cream which helps visibly transform dry, rough body skin into a smoother, more touchable texture. Formulated with PSP ®, Salicylic Acid and Ceramides , these ingredients help energize, nourish and promote the look of firmness and tone, plus exfoliate dry, rough bumpy skin, and replenish skin’s natural barrier.
I am loving products from Phytomer for bath, face and body! PHYTOMER is one of the only skincare companies in the world that has mastered marine biotechnologies, using marine micro-organisms to produce new, totally unprecedented, natural active ingredients.
Face: Phytomer HYDRACONTINUE 12H Moisturizing Flash Gel gives an extra boost of hydration to the skin.
Body: Phytomer OLEOCREME Ultra- Moisturizing Body Milk. This is new launch and the perfect way to pamper parched skin. Ultra luxe!
Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash
Dove Deep Moisture Body Wash is the perfect addition to your winter bodycare routine. The formula includes the brand's gentlest cleansers, Glycinate and DEFI, combined with NutriumMoisture technology to provide softer, smoother skin after just one shower.
Disclosure: Press samples were provided by the brand/PR for editorial consideration, product testing, photography and honest review.
Stay tuned for 5 more tips from Dr. Banks and Part 2 of Posh Beauty Blogs's Winter Skincare Guide for 2016