Organic skincare tips from Rianna Loving founder of ORGO Beauty
By Carla Snuggs
Organic skincare products are very hot right now right now. Unfortunately, some marketers are able to take advantage of the lack of labeling regulations in the cosmetics industry and use fraudulent tricks to make their products appear to organic when they are not.
Posh Beauty Blog interviewed Rianna Loving, founder and creator of ORGO Beauty, to learn more about organic skincare products. Rianna is also a licensed esthetician and an expert in all things organic-related. What’s more, she also shared a slew of brilliant DIY skincare recipes with Posh Beauty Blog (stay tuned for those)! Rianna recently opened her very own boutique in Santa Monica, Cirque Boutique, which offers an innovative and cutesy DIY bar and treatment room.
PBB: Why should we use organic skin care products?
Rianna Loving: In the last decade, research has revealed the harmful side effects of ingredients found in most skin care products. Within these years organic skin care products emerged offering alternative choices, but now these products have evolved and are not just made of oatmeal and oils, they now include high tech botanical ingredients which are effective and healthier for us. With everything we now know about health and beauty, it's only smart to choose more organic products in our skin care routines.
PBB: What makes a skin care product truly organic? How do we know that a beauty or skincare product is truly organic?
Rianna Loving: To be truly organic, certified organic, a product needs to have 95% organic ingredients. The other 5% of ingredients need to be approved non organic ingredients, which means they must be nontoxic to humans and the environment. Make sure to always read ingredient labels carefully and not just go off of the front labels or product descriptions.
PBB: What are your best tips for creating an organic skincare routine?
Rianna Loving: My first tip is to change your washable products to organic products. Washable products like cleansers are used frequently, but they do not stay on your skin long so I prefer inexpensive organic cleansers. When it comes to moisturizers I recommend rotating your skin care products and having a few healthy options on hand from organic oils, to more prestige botanically based serums and moisturizers. These type of products stay on skin longer so it's worth investing in healthy options. Remember that the best organic options can come directly from your kitchen too! I teach workshops and offer recipes on how to make your own masks and other beauty products from healthy options of fruits and veggies which are a wonderful way to give your skin fresher nutrients and vitamins.
PBB: What else would you like Posh Beauty Blog readers to know about organic skincare?
Rianna Loving: One thing I like to share with others, because it is often overlooked, is that fragrance does not belong in organic skin care products. It can contain many harmful ingredients so make sure you avoid this because it's really not necessary. Essential oils are the healthier, natural alternative to fragrance but they are not always suitable for everyone so it’s best to choose products for the face with no fragrance.
Also don't go too overboard either when getting more into organic skincare or organic beauty in general. Nothing is 100% organic, it can be made of 100% organic ingredients but these ingredients are not all entirely organic. There will always be some products which will need a preservative too, yes avoid parabens, but know that there are some healthy, effective products which need a preservative system. It's a wonderful time for healthy beauty with old methods and new technology merging.
It may take a while to find the right balance of products but just be realistic when it comes to what works best for your own skin. When it comes to skin care, just because the latest organic ingredient is all the rage because it's packed full of antioxidants, doesn't mean it works for everyone's face. You might be better eating your way to healthier skin too. Just do your best to eliminate as many obvious unhealthy products in your daily routine by switching to healthier options and know that organic skin care is all about balance.
Great tips, Rianna! I recommend heading to Cirque Boutique and also trying ORGO Beauty’s ORGO Completely Weightless SPF 29 Sunscreen Face Spray ($32, Orgobeauty.com). It’s a lightweight paraben-free, fragrance-free sunscreen spray that offers perfect face and neck coverage without the mess.
Do you use organic skincare products in your skincare routine? Leave your thoughts in the comments below!