The average adult eats 92% of whatever he or she puts on their plate, according to a new Cornell University study. Posh Beauty Blog received amazing portion control tips from Lisa Reed, MS, CSCS, USAW. Lisa is a world-renowned fitness expert, trainer, educator, motivator and owner of Lisa Reed Fitness LLC. Keep reading for easy tips that can assist your discipline and your waist courtesy of Lisa and Team LRF.
1. Use a home food scale to weigh the proper portions for each food group so you’ll have a size visual to guide you when you eat at parties or restaurants.
2. Use a smaller plate to help you eat less! If you use a smaller dish, your brain will think you are getting more food.
3. Portion control can be tricky, especially if you are relying on your eyes as your measuring tool. We've all heard the saying that our eyes are larger than our stomachs! Developing great habits starts in your kitchen by measuring and weighing out proper portions.
4. When you dine out or attend parties, you can visualize these everyday items to estimate your portion sizes: a deck of cards is 4 ounces of turkey, half a tennis ball is the proper portion of carbs or dessert, and the end of your thumb is the right amount of fats, butter or oil.
5. At restaurants, order steamed, grilled or broiled dishes instead of those that are fried or sauteéd. Avoid choosing foods with the following words: creamy, breaded, battered, or buttered. These words indicate that the food is higher in calories.
6. Ask for dressings, sauces, and syrups "on the side" so you can add only as much as you want. These sides are often high in calories – so don't eat a lot of them.
What are your best portion control tips? Leave your comments below!