You may be surprised to learn that the health of your scalp has a direct impact on how healthy and strong your hair is. If you want to improve the health of your hair, check out some of the following tips from Francesca Fusco, a well-known dermatologist associated with Clear Scalp and Hair Therapy.
1. Boost the growth of your hair with supplements. Certain vitamins play a key role in the overall health of your hair. If you want to grow your hair as long as possible, you may want to consider taking a supplement that is specifically formulated for hair growth. These supplements usually contain a combination of B vitamins, omega-3 fatty acids, and silica. They may also incorporate vitamins C and E or iron, depending on their formulation. Don't be discouraged if you experience slower hair growth during the winter. Hair naturally grows faster during the summer months.
2. Your hormones may be affecting your hair growth. If you have noticed that your hair is getting thinner, it could be the result of too much testosterone in your body. You may be able to help counteract this problem by taking birth control pills. Talk to a doctor or dermatologist about getting blood tests to see if your hormone levels are where they should be. Don't forget to ask about having your thyroid checked as well since thyroid problems can also result in hair loss.
3. One of the easiest ways to improve the health of your hair is by eating the right foods. This means eating a diet that is high in protein and iron as well as omega-3 fatty acids. If you primarily eat a vegetarian or vegan diet, you may need to add supplements to get these essential nutrients.
4. Choose the right time of the month for chemical hair treatments. Perming, relaxing, or coloring your hair when you have PMS may make these treatments more painful. Try to schedule them well in advance of your period so that they are as comfortable and pain-free as possible. If necessary, you can even take ibuprofen before your appointment to minimize scalp pain. Dry Scalp Gone has a whole array of tips on the subject of ridding your scalp of dryness.
5. You shouldn't feel tingling when having your hair dyed. If your scalp is overly dry, it may cause a tingling sensation when you have hair dye on your hair. If you don't address this problem, you could wind up with other more serious problems ranging from dandruff to hair loss.
6. Consider periodically exfoliating your scalp. Over time, dead skin cells can build up on your scalp. Removing these cells can leave the skin on your scalp healthy and refreshed. An easy way to exfoliate is by adding a little bit of sugar to your regular shampoo and gently massaging it into your scalp. If you have a lot of dead skin on your scalp and an exfoliating scrub doesn't seem to help, you can also try using a shampoo that contains salicylic acid.
Feature image: Pinterest.com