Tips on selecting and styling a human hair wig
By Carla Snuggs
Recently, Posh Beauty Blog showed you how to ramp up your hair style without the commitment by coloring your extensions. Another way to temporarily change your look is to wear a synthetic or human hair wig. More and more women from all walks of life are turning to wigs for versatility and flair!
To learn more about how to buy and style a wig, we turned to Lana Boone, owner of Kurly Klips Hair Extensions. Here are Lana’s tips for buying a wig and maintaining it so it looks amazing as long as you would like.
- Determine how long you want the wig to last. Buying synthetic hair is a great option if you’re wearing it to a one-off event. It’s less expensive and there are some companies that produce natural looking synthetic alternatives.
- If you’re going for quality, buying human hair is a must. Although human hair wigs are more expensive, they have a much longer shelf-life than their synthetic counterparts and look more natural. They’re also more versatile, with heat styling and coloring all possible.
- Maintaining a human hair wig is key if you plan on wearing it for a long time. They need to be properly washed and conditioned, just like the hair growing from your head. Use conditioners formulated for dry, damaged hair. Remember, the wig’s hair follicles are not receiving the same healthy oils your scalp gives your natural hair. So with that in mind, the wig can use all the help it can get from conditioners.
- Always wash with a moisturizing shampoo and don’t even do that too often! Wash the hair with conditioner only until you feel it’s time to give it a proper shampoo. How do you know it’s time for a shampoo? The hair looks and feels weighed down from product build-up. If you use conditioners without silicones, you shouldn’t run into this problem too often.
- For super curly hair wigs, sometimes a leave-in conditioner is key. Experiment with different products. Just like different products perform better on different people, the same goes for wigs. It’s all human hair and sometimes you have to do a bit of experimenting to figure out the regimen your wig likes the best.
To learn more about Kurly Klips Hair Exentsions, click here
How do you keep your wigs and extensions looking gorgeous? Leave your comments below!